Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets Athletics Club
Friendly east London club for athletes of all abilities
COVID-19 update - 27 March 2021
Following the latest major government announcements published on 22 February, England is now navigating a 4-step roadmap out of lockdown. The first milestone steps to ease restrictions are effective as at Monday 29 March: (1) outdoor social contact of up to 6 individuals; and (2) people allowed to take part in formally organised outdoor sports. England Athletics have also published a roadmap.
For existing members, we recommend getting in touch with your usual club contacts to confirm the scheduling and arrangements as activities are restarted.
We continue to monitor developments to keep you updated, and strongly remind members to adhere to these temporary laws and restrictions during this time.
Club sessions have resumed on a limited and modified basis (effective as at Monday 29 March). The clubhouse itself is currently closed with no access to facilities (eg. changing rooms, toilets, bar). Runners are advised to turn up ready to run. Designated bike parking is available. All sessions require pre-registration to manage group numbers and track attendees (as per the club sessions information below). The organisers will endeavour to maintain good communication and flag any additional amendments on an ongoing basis.
- Monday circuits with Coach Tony Bunbury at the clubhouse are currently on hold until further notice.
- Tuesday ‘interval’ sessions with Coach Mick Cairns is organised with limited numbers for paid up members (up to 35 runners in total, split into groups). Spond is currently being used to assign places. Training details also continue to be published on a weekly basis to be run ‘virtually’.
- Thursday ‘Project V’ with Coach Steve Hobbs is organised with limited numbers for paid up members (up to 35 runners per group). Spond is currently being used to assign places. The session focuses on threshold pace work, which can be described as medium effort intervals that may last up to 10 minutes (a variation on shorter track workouts).
- Thursday (7pm) and Sunday (9:30am) group runs the sessions require pre-registration via a google doc which is refreshed weekly. Runners are requested to add their names (selecting the suitable distance and pace) and turn up at the clubhouse ready to run. The groups (up to 6 runners) are self guided runs led by members.
- Specialist Track & Field (inc. junior athletes) at Mile End Stadium with our coaching team led by Alf Vickers and Cornelia Abe-Minale, weekly T&F activity has also resumed. Please send separate enquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of the board,